Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rolling With The Rhythms

Life is a series of cycles - a conglomeration of ebbs and flows, beginnings and endings that lead to initiations and completions. Like the rhythms of our heartbeat, shown on a cardiogram, our days and weeks are made up of peaks and valleys. These ups and downs give us the opportunity to learn, grow, and expand our awareness while illustrating that change is constant.

For me, this rhythm is acutely noticeable in my physical body. I have days, weeks and even months when I am consistently motivated to BE healthy, active, positive, outgoing, and conscious. And then, there comes a time, when I have no interest in exercising and all I want to do is eat, sleep, and not be responsible for a damn thing.

I've learned that these unmotivated times come in a cyclic rhythm, sometimes predictable and sometimes not. When I attach and resist to these changing tides, I become tense, constricted and grumpy. When I allow them to surge and recede in their own time, with awareness, I am able to shift into a state of appreciation for my body's intelligence and rhythms.

We all have this same opportunity - to observe the changing times and our own highs and lows with non-judgment, centeredness and awareness. With the Fall Equinox upon us tomorrow and a powerful weekend ahead, please join me in giving thanks to the rhythms and cycles that govern our planet and existence. If you feel inclined take it a step further and follow the Awakening Exercise below.

AWAKENING EXERCISE:

Take out your journal or a piece of paper and answer the following questions:

  1. What cycles consistently govern my life? (Think of your relationships, your health, your work)
  2. Write down one or two sentences that describe the theme of this cycle.
  3. What does this cycle have to teach me?
  4. How can I practice loving detachment of this rhythm or cycle that ebbs and flows throughout my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment