Thursday, December 17, 2009

Winter Solstice Rituals & Reflections

The Winter Solstice, occurring on Tuesday, December 22, is one of the most powerful days of the year. It is the day in the Northern Hemisphere where our existence into darkness is at its peak. It is also a day of transition - when we begin to move out of this darkness and into the light. The Winter Solstice is marked by the shortest day and longest night and it is a turning point for humanity to welcome the Sun back into our lives. It is a special time for celebration.

This powerful day is always a sacred time of reflection, release, and intention for me which is usually marked by the Winter Solstice Circle that I facilitate and host for the community. Although I deeply enjoy the opportunity to lead such a magical gathering, I have decided that my energy needs to be reflected inward rather than outward this year. This solstice, I will be nourishing my Spirit and the Spirit of the growing baby inside of me (yes, I am pregnant), as I release what no longer serves me while intending to manifest what my heart deeply desires. I choose to bask in a state of gratitude for all the blessings I have been given, all the gifts and skills that have been nurtured throughout my past, and for all the abundance, enlightenment, and expansion that is on its way.

In this vein, I have decided to share some Winter Solstice rituals with you. Please join me in reflection, release, and celebration - on your own or with your chosen group of gathering.

Winter Solstice Rituals and Reflections:

Before you begin, you will need:

· Soothing music

· Candle and matches

· Individual pieces of paper and scissors

· Fireplace or contained bowl that can have fire in it

· Pillow or Cushion

· Journal and pen or computer laptop

· Blank piece of paper with envelope


1. Create your peaceful environment: Find a quite space where you will not be interrupted for a period of time (at least 45 minutes). Turn on some instrumental, soothing music in the background. Surround yourself with objects that have special meaning to you (pictures, stones, feathers, artifacts, and memorabilia) that represent your true essence. Have a pillow or cushion that is comfortable for you to sit on.


2. Ignite your fire: Build a small fire (either in your fireplace or in a contained bowl).


3. Cut pieces of paper that you can write on and have a journal and a pen by your side.


4. Once you have created your comfortable, nurturing, peace-filled environment, sit on your pillow and light a candle. As you do this, imagine the light is the light that is always glowing within you. CLOSE YOUR EYES and begin to focus on your breath. Notice how it feels to inhale and exhale. Quite your mind by focusing only on how it feels to breathe. Invite your higher power - whatever it is you believe in (God, Angels, Spirits, Guides, Jesus, Buddha, etc.) to be present with you NOW. Open your eyes whenever you feel called to.

5. Ask yourself: What will no longer serve me in 2010? Write down any behaviors, beliefs, experiences that no longer serve you on the separate pieces of paper. Review them and ask yourself, "Am I really willing to let these go?"


6. Make a pile of all the papers that you are willing to release. Then, burn them (in your fire place or a bowl)- releasing their energy and attachment into the ethers.


7. Once you have completed that, ask yourself,

· "What do I really want to experience in 2010?",

· "What does my heart deeply desire?"

· "What would nurture and nourish my Spirit this coming year?"

Write the answers to these questions down in your journal - or type them on your computer. Then, imagine yourself experiencing those things. See them - feel them. Bring the experience viscerally into your body. Imagine your dreams and desires coming true.

8. Once you have finished this, write or type yourself a letter and date it December 22, 2010. Start the letter with "As I look back on 2010, I am so grateful that ...." and write down all of the things you want to experience next year. Be specific and allow your passion, intention, and dreams to come out.


9. Once you have finished your manifestation letter, place it in an envelope and self address the envelope (put your name and address in the return address place too). Seal the envelope and put it in a safe place where you will remember to retrieve it a year from now. OR - you can give it to a friend that you trust to hold onto it and who will send it back to you just before December 21, 2010.


** For those of you who participated in this exercise last Winter Solstice, keep a look out for your manifestation letters arriving in the mail. It gave me great joy to send out over 50 letters that I have been holding in my safe for 12 months. I blessed each letter with a prayer and the smoke of sage - asking that each one of your dreams and desires came true. Thank you for giving me the gift of being the steward of your letters this past year!


May you enjoy a fabulous holiday season. Merry Christmas. Happy Hanukkah. Happy Kwanzaa. Happy Holidays. Happy New Year!

May the light of your Spirit enfold you. May the power of your Spirit watch over you. Wherever you are, Your Spirit is there, and All is Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment